Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cajun Boiled Drunken Chicken

Quartered with onion ready for a plate


1 whole chicken
1/2 can of beer
crab boil
1 small onion
1 BBQ pit
favorite BBQ rub

Eggplant add to the pit

Wash chicken and add your favorite rub and let stand in cool place for 2 or 3 hours. I add honey to mine before adding the rub.

See onion. I force it into the neck

Cut small onion in half. Push into neck area to allow the crab boil steam to stay inside. Place chicken on beer can rack or just on the can. Be careful it will fall over with just a can.


Start the charcoal and once the coals are ready place chicken off to the side using indirect heat for about 3 hours or until the thigh reaches 180 degrees.

Almost ready


We add rice dressing to this meal with fresh tomatoes and grilled eggplant.


Good Eats
Rice dressing or as we call it Dirty rice
Grilled eggplant

2 comments:

  1. I like how you stuff the onion in the neck hole so that it doesn't allow any steam to escape. I just use a piece of the innards but an onion sounds good! I would love to add this recipe to my website http://drunkenturkey.com with your permission of course. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go right ahead. As you know us Louisianians love a little spice and it was something I came up with looking in the cabinets for seasons. I would normally put a piece of smoked sausage in the neck but once I added the crab boil I thought the onion would have a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete